- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the sauce
- 1.5 kg tomatoes
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 8 basil
- 8 thin slices white bread
- 200 g buffalo mozzarella
- 2 eggs
- 125 ml milk
- 6 tbsp plain flour
- handful rocket
1. For the sauce, cut the tomatoes into rough cubes and set aside.
2. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and fry the onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes, until softened.
3. Add the tomatoes to the pan, and bring to the boil. Stir in the oregano, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the basil leaves and continue cooking for 15 further minutes.
3. Tip everything into a liquidiser and process until smooth - you could also puree everything with a stick blender. Strain through a sieve and leave on one side.
4. For the mozzarella, slice the mozzarella cheese into 4 slices about 1cm thick. Cut the crusts off the bread and stamp out, using a cutter, into discs slightly larger than the mozzarella slices.
5. Lightly beat the eggs and season with salt and pepper.
6. Dip one side of all the bread slices into milk. Put a mozzarella disc on top of the dry side of half the bread slices.
7. Season the mozzarella and make a sandwich with the other slice of bread, keeping the milk-soaked side on the outside.
8. Dust the 'sandwich' with flour, and coat in beaten egg.
9. Heat the oil in a deep-fat fryer and deep-fry the sandwich in a hot fryer until golden and crisp.
10. Drain the fried sandwiches on kitchen paper, and serve with the warm tomato sauce. Accompany with a heap of rocket leaves.
Rate This Recipe