- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the tomato sauce
- 1.5 kg ripe tomatoes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onions, very finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped
- 10 small leaves basil
- 2 tbsp oregano, chopped
For the mozzarella
- 8 slices thinly sliced white bread
- 200 g mozzarella
- 2 eggs
- 1 pinches black pepper
- 6 tbsp plain flour
- 250 ml olive oil, for deep or shallow frying
1. First of all, make the tomato sauce. Plunge the tomatoes into boiling water for one minute to loosen the skin. Remove the skin and cut the tomatoes in half. Discard the inner pulp and seeds and coarsely chop the flesh.
2. Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion for five minutes. Add the garlic and fry for a further minute. Add the tomato and bring to the boil, and then add the chopped oregano and reduce the heat to simmer for 30-40 minutes. Halfway through cooking, stir in the shredded basil leaves.
3. Season the sauce with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and then transfer to a blender and liquidise.
4. Meanwhile, cut the crusts off the bread so that each slice measures 10x6cm.
5. Slice the mozzarella into four thick slices, each about 1cm thick.
6. Beat the eggs lightly and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
7. Dip the slices of bread on one side into the milk and then place a slice of mozzarella onto the dry side. Season the mozzarella with salt and pepper and make a sandwich with another slice of bread, soaked in milk on the outside again. Dust the sandwich with flour and then soak in the beaten egg.
8. Heat the oil in a deep fryer, or alternatively heat 2cm of oil in a frying pan. Fry the sandwich in the hot oil, turning over if you are shallow frying. The sandwich should be a nice golden colour, slightly crisp on the outside and the mozzarella filling should have begun to melt on the inside.
9. Drain on kitchen paper and serve with the tomato sauce.
Rate This Recipe