- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 300 g raw prawns, peeled, with heads and tails left attached
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- a dash of sesame oil
- a pinch of salt and black pepper, freshly ground
- 10 tinned lychees, drained and chopped
- 6 tbsp sweet chilli sauce, Thai
- 1 egg white
- half tsp sugar
- 2 tsp cornflour
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- lettuce, for serving
1. Mix the prawns with spring onion, oyster sauce, sesame oil and freshly ground pepper and set aside.
2. Mix together the chopped lychees and chilli sauce to make a dipping sauce.
3. Beat the egg white until stiff and fold in the salt and sugar. Fold in the cornflour.
4. Heat the oil in a wok or deep fat-fyer until hot.
5. Dip the prawns in the egg white.
6. Fry the prawns in the hot oil until golden brown, around 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
7. Serve the deep-fried prawns on a bed of lettuce with the lychee dipping sauce.
Rate This Recipe