- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 bowl plain flour, (about 250g)
- pinches cayenne pepper
- oil, for frying
- 800 g cleaned and cooked white honeycomb tripe, cut into prawn cracker size pieces
- vinegar, ideally from a jar of pickled shallots
Tips and Suggestions
to cook the tripe, first clean it thoroughly, then blanch in salty water before simmering for 8 hours in chicken stock.
Fergus' recipe for pickled shallots
1. Season the flour with salt, pepper and cayenne for a little piquancy.
2. Heat the oil in a saucepan or deep-fat fryer to 180C. When hot, toss the tripe in the seasoned flour, shake off the excess in a sieve and slip it into the oil. Deep fry in batches until golden. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and tip onto kitchen paper to drain excess oil.
3. Serve with pickled shallot vinegar for dipping and chips.
Rate This Recipe