- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 250 g rhubarb, cut into 2.5 cm pieces
- 1 tbsp water or orange juice
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- good pinch mixed spice
- 100 g strawberries, sliced
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 tsp finely grated orange zest
- 15 g butter
- icing sugar, for dusting
- 4 tbsp half-fat crème fraîche, to serve
1. Place the rhubarb, orange juice or water, 3 tablespoons caster sugar and mixed spice in a pan and bring to the boil; simmer for 4 minutes until tender and thickened. Stir in the strawberries and set aside.
2. Beat the egg yolks and remaining caster sugar until pale, then stir in the orange zest.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Fold the egg yolk mixture carefully into the whites.
4. Preheat the grill to medium.
5. Melt the butter in a 23cm frying pan and spoon in the egg mixture so it covers the base. Cook over a gentle heat for a few minutes until golden underneath and beginning to set, and then grill for 1 minute until golden and puffy.
6. Slide the soufflé onto a serving plate and spoon some of the fruit and sauce over half of it. Fold over and dust liberally with icing sugar.
7. Serve in wedges with extra fruit and a spoonful of crème fraiche.
Rate This Recipe