- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 12 lamb's kidneys
- salt, and freshly ground pepper
- 250 g rich, smooth chicken liver paté, or foie gras mousse
- pig's caul fat, or butter, if caul not available
- 300 ml dry white wine
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 10 peppercorns
- 1 chilli, sliced lengthways
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 300 ml beef or veal stock
- 1 tsp English mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 25 g unsalted butter
Tips and Suggestions
Pig's caul is the fat surrounding the kidney's. If you can't get hold of it, place a small knob of butter on the kidney's before cooking.
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
2. Carefully open each kidney and remove any sinew. Season with salt and pepper and place a small portion of pate in the centre of each kidney.
3. Squeeze the two sides of kidney together, wrap in a piece of pig's caul to hold tight and place in an ovenproof pan.
4. Roast the kidneys in the oven for 15 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, heat a saucepan on the hob. Add the white wine, vinegar, peppercorns, chilli and shallots into the hot pan and cook briskly until reduced by half.
6. Add in the stock and cook briskly again until reduced by half.
7. Once reduced, whisk in the mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
8. Mix in the cayenne and whisk in the butter.
9. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper, strain and keep warm.
10.Serve the roast kidneys with the hot sauce.
Rate This Recipe