- Serves: 1 (bread recipe serves more)
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus prooving time
- Effort: medium
For the salmon
- 150 g roasted and smoked salmon
For the bread
- 500 g white strong bread flour
- 3 tbsp chopped dill
- 2 tbsp fennel seeds
- 150 g cream cheese, e.g. Philadelphia
- 1 large onion, grated
- 1 egg
- 20 g fresh yeast
- 100 ml warm water
For the fromage blanc
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- squeeze of lemon juice
For the Bloody Mary
- 2 ice cubes
- 60 ml (2 measures) vodka
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- 6 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
- 3 dashes of tabasco
- 150 ml tomato juice
- 30 ml (1 measure) fino sherry
1. For the bread: put all the ingredients, except for the water and yeast into a bowl. Combine the water with the yeast in another small bowl.
2. Make a well in the centre of the combined ingredients and slowly add the water and yeast mixture. Mix in and work the mixture for 10-15 minutes.
3. Cover the dough, set it aside in a warm place and let it rise for about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
4. Knock the risen dough down and knead for about 5 minutes.
5. Shape the mixture, put into a tin and leave in a warm place again to prove. This will take 40 minutes to 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 190C/ gas 5.
6. Put the tin of risen dough into the oven on a baking tray for 40 minutes or until it sounds hollow when tapped, then remove and allow to cool slightly.
7. For the fromage blanc: combine the finely chopped shallots, a squeeze of lemon juice, cream cheese and salt and pepper to taste and beat with a fork until smooth.
8. For the Bloody Mary: put the ice into a tall glass and add the vodka. Stir in the lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, tomato juice and salt and pepper to taste. Top the glass off with a measure of fino sherry.
9. Serve the bread warm (not toasted) with the smoked salmon and fromage blanc with a Bloody Mary topped with Fino sherry.
Rate This Recipe