- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus cooling plus freezing
- Effort: easy
- 750 ml water
- 12 tsp caster sugar
- 55 g cocoa powder
- 55 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- shot of peppermint liqueur or crème de menthe
- sprigs of mint
- 4 quenelles of cream
1. Stir together water and sugar in a medium saucepan over a low heat to dissolve the sugar.
2. Bring the sugar syrup to the boil. Boil over a high heat for 1 minute without stirring and allow to reduce until you have approximately 500ml left.
3. Remove from heat. Stir in the cocoa powder, chocolate, and vanilla into the sugar syrup mixture until the mixture is well-mixed and the chocolate has melted. Allow to cool.
4. Pour into ice cube trays and place in the freezer until frozen. When you are ready to serve, tip out the chocolate ice cubes into a blender suitable for crushing ice and process until crystalline and 'slush' like.
5. Pour or spoon into 4 tall sundae-type glasses, add a touch of peppermint liqueur to each serving and garnish with a sprig of mint and a quenelle of cream. Serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe