- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 12 Maris Piper potatoes
- 3 litres groundnut oil
- tomato ketchup, or brown sauce
1. Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1cm x 7cm chips. Wash the chips under cold running water to rinse off any free starch.
2. Heat the oil in a deep-frying pan to 130ºC.
3. Drain and dry the chips well and place them in small batches in a chip basket.
4. Lower the basket of chips into the oil and fry for 7-8 minutes, until soft but not brown. Shake the basket occasionally to ensure even cooking.
5. Lift the basket out of the pan and drain the chips on absorbent kitchen paper.
6. Heat the oil further to 180C and return the chips to the oil until the chips are golden brown. This could take a good few minutes, so be patient in order to get a really crispy chip.
7. Drain the chips on kitchen paper, season with salt and serve.
Rate This Recipe