- Serves: 2-4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 30 mins churning
- Effort: easy
- 2 slices dry stale dark rye bread, rubbed into breadcrumbs
- 170 g brown sugar
- 10 egg yolks
- 100 g golden caster sugar
- 500 ml single cream
- 200 ml full fat milk
- 2 heaped tsp liquorice powder
- 1-2 tsp liquorice syrup
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Spread the rye breadcrumbs onto a baking tray and toast them in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs are dry.
2. Finish the drying process by pouring the breadcrumbs into a pan and dry frying them until they are completely dry.
3. Mix together the breadcrumbs with the brown sugar and toast them in a frying pan until the sugar has caramelised. Turn the breadcrumbs onto a piece of baking parchment and set to one side to cool to make them really crunchy.
4. Beat the egg yolks with the golden caster sugar until smooth, pale and creamy and set aside.
5. In a pan, combine the cream with the milk and stir over a low-medium heat until combined. Add the liquorice powder and stir gently.
6. Pour the hot liquorice mixture into the bowl of egg mixture and beat together.
7. Return the mixture to a pan and whisk over a low-medium heat until it starts to thicken and leaves a trail of faint ribbons behind it.
8. Place the pan in a sink full of cold water to cool down the mixture.
9. Once cooled, pour the mixture into an ice cream machine and churn for 30 minutes until nearly set.
10. Add the caramelised breadcrumbs and continue to churn until the ice cream has set.
11. Spoon the liquorice syrup on top and serve.
Want some more frozen dessert ideas? Check out our top 10 ice cream recipes
Rate This Recipe