- Serves: 4-6
- Effort: easy
For the Yorkshire pudding
- 38 g plain flour
- 1 free range egg
- 38 ml milk
- 28 ml water
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- seasoning, to taste
For the filling
- 450 g whole fresh beetroot, with tops and tails intact
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 400 g potatoes, peeled and cut into 2mm slices
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 tbsp flat leaf parsley, very finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 200 g Vegetarian Dovedale blue cheese, crumbled well
- 30 g Vegetarian parmesan style cheese, grated
- cracked rock salt, to season potatoes
1. Preheat oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Wash the beetroot well. Leaving the tops and bottoms and skin on (to prevent the colour bleeding out), place the beetroot in a roasting dish with 1 tbsp of the olive oil.
3. Roast the beetroot for 50 minutes or until soft. Allow to cool. Peel, top and tail then grate the beetroot and set aside.
4. Increase the oven temperature to 220C/gas 7.
5. Sift the flour and seasoning into a large mixing bowl and make a well in the middle.
6. Break the egg into the well and beat, gradually incorporating the flour.
7. Gradually beat in the milk and water, ensuring all the flour is incorporated.
8. Pour the vegetable oil into an 18cm round oven tin/dish and place in oven. Heat until oil is sizzling hot.
9. Remove tin/dish from oven and pour in Yorkshire batter. Return tin to the oven. The pudding will take 25-30 minutes to rise and become crisp and golden.
10. In a large saucepan, steam the potatoes for 15 minutes or until soft. Cool and set aside.
11. Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and sauté the onion and garlic for 5 minutes until soft. Then add the parsley and basil and cook for a further 2 minutes.
12. Remove Yorkshire pudding from oven and allow to cool before proceeding
13. Reduce the heat of the oven to 180C/gas 4.
14. Take the cooled Yorkshire pudding and layer in the ingredients in this order: 1/2 of the Dovedale cheese, 1/2 of the potatoes (seasoned) 1/2 the grated beetroot and finally 1/2 of the onion mixture.
15. Repeat step 13 and finish with the remaining half of the Dovedale on top. Sprinkle with the vegetarian parmesan style cheese.
16. Immediately put into the roasting tin and place on the middle layer of the oven. Cook for 20 minutes or until the Yorkshire crust is crisp and the cheese topping is brown.
© The Vegetarian Society (recipe created by the Cordon Vert cookery school) www.vegsoc.org
Rate This Recipe