- Serves: Makes 6 slices
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: medium
- 140 g brown sugar
- 85 g clarified beef dripping
- 225 g mixed dried fruit and mixed candied peel
- 225 ml water
- oil, for greasing
- 225 g wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pinch of ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- unsalted butter or clotted cream
- raspberry jam
1. Put the sugar, dripping, dried fruit and candied peel into a saucepan. Add the water and bring to the boil. Simmer gently for 10 minutes, then allow to cool in the pan.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Grease and line a 18cm cake tin.
3. Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle. Add the cooled dried fruit mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon, gradually drawing in the flour from around the edge of the well, until you have a smooth batter.
4. Spoon into the prepared tin. Bake for about 40 minutes until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
5. Leave in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
6. Cut into slices and serve thickly spread with butter or clotted cream, and raspberry jam.
Rate This Recipe