- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 250 g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 100 g sugar
- 300 ml milk
- 1 egg
- pinch of salt
For the apple and sultana puree:
- 3 large cooking apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 vanilla pod, split lengthways and seeds removed
- 50 g butter
- pinch of sugar
- 100 g sultanas
- splash of water
- maple syrup
- clotted cream
1. To make the drop pancake mixture, sift the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Add the sugar, milk, egg and salt and whisk together thoroughly forming a smooth, thick batter.
2. To make the apple and sultana puree, place the apples, vanilla pod, butter, sugar and a splash of water in a small, heavy-based saucepan.
3. Cook, stirring often, until the apples turn into a puree. Mix in the sultanas and heat through, stirring often. Remove the vanilla pod.
4. Heat a lightly greased griddle or heavy-based non-stick frying pan. To cook the pancakes in batches, drop small amounts of the batter onto the pan, spacing them well apart.
5. Once the bubbles on the surface of the pancakes begin to pop, turn them over and cook briefly on the other side, before removing and keeping warm.
6. To serve, place a pancake in the centre of a serving plate. Spread with the apple puree, then top with another pancake. Repeat the process, using three pancakes in all. Top the third pancake with apple puree, then a spoonful of clotted cream and a drizzle of maple syrup. Repeat the process with the remaining pancakes, puree, clotted cream and maple syrup. Serve.
Rate This Recipe