- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 4 hours 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 50 minutes plus overnight marinating
- Effort: medium
- 2 duck, legs
- 80 g goose fat
For the marinade
- 125 ml red wine
- 1 pinches peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 handfuls parsley, stalks
- 1 kirsch, shot
For the purée
- 1 bulbs fennel
- 3 parsnips
- 50 g butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 50 ml single cream
- 1 pinches nutmeg
- 1 pinches ground fennel seeds
- 1 pinches black pepper
For the berry glaze
- 1 punnet mixed berries
- 100 g sugar
- 125 ml red wine
- 450 ml chicken stock, reduced
1. Lay the duck legs in a shallow dish and pour over the red wine. Add the remaining marinade ingredients and leave to marinate (overnight, if possible).
2. Remove the duck legs from the marinade and transfer them to a roasting pan. Save the marinade for the berry glaze.
3. Set the oven to 120°C/gas½. Cover the duck legs with the goose fat and cook for four hours. Leave to cool.
4. To make the purée, chop the fennel bulbs and cook them on a medium heat in a large pan of boiling, salted water until softened.
5. Peel and chop the parnsips, and cook in a seperate pan of boiling, salted water, until soft.
6. In a separate saucepan, melt the butter and cook the shallots and garlic until soft.
7. Add the fennel and parsnips and stir continuously until the vegetables soak up the flavour and most of the liquid has evaporated.
8. Transfer the mixture to a blender and blitz to a purée.
9. Add the cream, nutmeg and fennel seeds and season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
10. Purée the berries.
11. Heat the red wine marinade in a saucepan with the berry purée and the sugar. Bubble the mixture until it reaches a honey-like consistency. Brush this over the duck legs.
12. Increase the oven temperature to 200°C/gas 6 and cook the duck legs for 10 minutes. Remove the duck and keep warm.
13. De-glaze the roasting tray with the red wine and bubble until reduced by half.
14. Serve the duck set prettily on top of the purée and pour over the jus.
Rate This Recipe