- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 1 hour chilling time
- Effort: medium
- 225 g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 75 g chilled butter, cubed
- 50 ml milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten, for egg wash
- 150 g potatoes, chopped into 1cm dice
- 150 g diced swede
- 450 g duck confit, (see Cooks note below)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- pinches cinnamon
- sweet chilli sauce, or smoked habanero sauce
Tips and Suggestions
Duck confit is available in tins, or you can make your own by roasting duck legs slowly in the oven under a layer of duck fat until cooked.
1. For the pastry: put the flour, turmeric, butter and a pinch of salt into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until crumbly.
2. Add the milk and egg yolk and pulse together until it forms a dough.
3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for a few minutes. Wrap in clingfilm and leave to chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
4. For the filling: combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix gently but thoroughly.
5. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
6. Remove the pastry from the fridge, divide into 4 equal portions and roll each portion out to a 20cm-diameter circle.
7. Put a spoonful of the filling on top of each circle, brush the edges with egg wash and fold the circle in half to enclose the filling. Press the edges with a fork to seal and brush the pasty with egg wash. Put on a baking tray and bake for about 30-40 minutes until golden.
8. Serve the pasties with sweet chilli sauce and/or smoked habanero sauce.
Rate This Recipe