- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 x 400 g beetroot, cooked
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 x 175 g duck breast, with skin
- salt and black pepper
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 90 ml extra virgin olive oil
For the salad
- 1 bunches watercress, picked and washed
- 200 g goats' cheese, cut into 3cm chunks
- 100 g sun-blushed tomatoes
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Cut each beetroot in half vertically, and slice each half into 3 wedges. Lay the wedges in a roasting tin, which should be just large enough to hold them.
2. Season well, and pour over the vegetable oil. Roast the beetroot wedges for about 15 minutes, until just beginning to get tinged with colour. Turn them once during cooking.
3. While the beetroot is cooking, score the skin of the duck breasts with a sharp knife. Put the meat, skin side down, in an ovenproof frying pan.
4. Place the pan over a medium heat and cook the ducks for about 10 minutes on one side only, until the skin is golden. Drain the fat (don't discard it though, it's great for roasting potatoes).
5. Transfer the pan to the oven, and continue cooking (at 190C/gas 6), skin side down, for a further 5 minutes. Once cooked, leave to rest for 5 minutes.
6. For the dressing, whisk the water with the balsamic vinegar and olive oil and season well.
7. For the salad, toss the watercress with the dressing and divide it between four plates. Top with the beetroot, goat's cheese and sun-blushed tomatoes.
8. Place the duck breasts on a chopping board, carve into thin slices and place over the top of the salad.
Rate This Recipe