- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the beetroot
- 6 beetroot
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- sprig thyme
- 4 black peppercorns, lightly crushed
For the sauce
- 60 ml red wine
- 1 tsp demerara sugar
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 25 g butter
- 50 g unsalted butter, diced
- freshly ground salt and black pepper
For the duck
- 4 duck breast
For the apples
- 1 Bramley apple, cut into 8
- 50 g icing sugar
- pinch mixed spice
- wilted spinach
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Remove from the pan and leave to rest.
3. Place the peeled beetroot on a large sheet of kitchen foil.
4. Add the onion, garlic, thyme and crushed peppercorns. Seal tightly and place in an ovenproof dish.
5. Pour in a generous amount of water and cook for 1 hour and 30 minutes, until the beetroot is tender when tested with the point of a knife.
6. To make the sauce, drain the juices through a sieve into a saucepan.
7. Add the wine, sugar and vinegar. Bring to the boil and cook for 5 minutes or so, until reduced and syrupy.
8. Whisk in the butter, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and keep warm.
9. Heat a frying pan over a medium heat. Cook the duck breasts for about 8 minutes, skin side down. Turn over and cook for 3 - 4 minutes.
10. Meanwhile, to cook the apples, sieve the icing sugar into a hot pan and cook over a gentle heat until caramelised.
11. Add the apple slices, sprinkle over the mixed spice and toss until richly coloured.
12. Slice the duck breasts and serve with the beetroot, caramelised apples and some wilted spinach.
Rate This Recipe