- Serves: 4 as a starter/side dish
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 300 g small new potatoes
- sunflower oil, for deep frying
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp ground fennel seeds
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp dried mint leaves, crumbled to a powder
- 50 ml hot water
- 150 ml single cream
1. Prick the potatoes with a fork and set on one side.
2. Heat the oil in the deep-fat fryer or pan until hot. Fry the potatoes in batches until crisp and golden. They don't need to be completely cooked at this stage. Remove the potatoes with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
3. Put 2 tablespoons of the hot oil in another saucepan and add the tomato purée. Cook until the oil separates, stirring frequently to prevent it from sticking.
4. Add the ground spices and crumbled dried mint, reserving a pinch for the garnish. Season to taste with salt.
5. Pour in the hot water, cover tightly and cook over a low heat for about 5-7 minutes until the potatoes are tender. The steam in the pan will cook the potatoes.
6. Pour in the cream and heat through. Serve warm, dusted with the reserved mint.
Rate This Recipe