- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus 1 hr standing for the sambal
- Effort: medium
For the lamb curry
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion, sliced into rings
- 1 sprigs curry leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 3 tsp curry masala
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 kg boneless leg of lamb, diced
- 3 small chillies
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 200 ml chicken stock
- 1 tsp tomato purée
- 4-5 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- fresh coriander leaves, to serve
For the tomato and mint sambal
- 2 ripe firm tomatoes, diced
- 4 mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, finely diced
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- pinches sugar
1. Make the tomato and mint sambal first: mix all the ingredients together, cover and leave to chill for an hour before serving.
2. For the lamb curry: heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the onion and curry leaves until the onion is soft and golden brown. Stir in the garlic, ginger and spices and cook for a couple of minutes over a low heat.
3. Increase the temperature and add the meat and chillies, stirring well for a few minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes, half the stock and cook for about 10 minutes before adding the tomato purée.
5. Add the potatoes and the remaining stock; cover and simmer for a further 20 minutes.
6. Remove the chillies and curry leaves, adjust the seasoning if necessary and sprinkle with the coriander before serving.
7. Serve with the tomato and mint sambal.
Rate This Recipe