- Serves: makes 18 cakes
- Prep Time: plus chilling time
- Effort: easy
- 285 g ready made Madeira cakes
- 100 g cream cheese
- ½ tsp vanilla paste or vanilla extract
- 100 g strawberries
- 250 g white chocolate, broken in to pieces
- 6 tbsp desiccated coconut, or grated white chocolate
- 100 g white ready-to-roll icing
- 18 marshmallows, cut in half
- 18 red sugar-coated sweets, such as mini Smarties
- 36 small round sweets, such as edible sugar balls
Tips and Suggestions
Keep the bunnies in an airtight container and eat within 2 days
1. Trim the dark brown edges from the Madeira cake then turn the cake into crumbs by cutting it into pieces and blitzing in a food processor or by crumbling it with your fingertips.
2. Beat the cream cheese and vanilla in a bowl until smooth. Add the strawberries and cake crumbs, then mix together.
3. Divide and roll the cake mixture into 18 evenly sized balls, putting them onto a baking sheet. Freeze for 15 minutes.
4. Slowly melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a saucepan of gently simmering water, making sure that the water doesnt touch the base of the bowl. Stir the chocolate until smooth and take the bowl off the heat.
5. Line a baking sheet with non-stick baking paper. Spear one of the cake balls on a fork then either swirl into the melted chocolate to coat or use a teaspoon to spoon a little melted chocolate over the cake ball as it is held over the bowl, allowing the excess chocolate to drip off.
6. Transfer the coated cake ball to the baking sheet and sprinkle half the ball with a little coconut or grated chocolate. Continue coating the remaining cake balls in chocolate and sprinkling with coconut or grated chocolate until they are all done.
7. To make the ears, dust your fingers with icing sugar and break off tiny pieces of white icing, roll into balls and then press into ovals a little larger than the marshmallow halves. Press the icing around a marshmallow half and pinch the top into an ear shape. Press 2 onto each cake ball to make ears. Add sweets as the eyes and noses. Repeat until they are all decorated.
8. Chill in the fridge for 1 hour until set, then arrange in paper cake cases.
Recipe from Seasonal Berries
Rate This Recipe