- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus marinating and resting
- Effort: easy
- 5 sprigs rosemary
- 3 cloves garlic, halved
- 6 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 x 1.5-2kg leg of lamb
- 800 g new potatoes, halved
- 500 g carrots, sliced into batons
- 400 g baby onions, (cipollini)
- 100-200 ml white wine
- 1 bunches sage, leaves only
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 bunches flat leaf parsley, leaves only, chopped
- 1 bunches mint, leaves only, chopped
For the salad
- 2-3 anchovy fillets
- 1 tsp dried lavender flowers
- 6-8 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
- red wine vinegar, to taste
- 4 small handfuls salad leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 2.
2. Crush 3 sprigs of the rosemary with the garlic cloves in a pestle and mortar, then add the 6 tablespoons of oil to form a paste. Cut make deep, diagonal slashes in the lamb. Season with salt and pepper, then rub the herb oil vigorously over the lamb and leave to marinate for 30 minutes.
3. Add the potatoes, carrots and onions to the tin with the lamb along with the white wine and roast for about 2 hour 30 minutes. After 30 minutes of roasting, stir the remaining rosemary, sage and bay leaves into the roasting vegetables, and drizzle with more olive oil before returning to the oven. Baste regularly.
4. Once the lamb is cooked, place the joint on a board and set aside to rest for 10 minutes (leave the vegetables in the tray in the oven to keep warm). Tear the meat from the bone and sprinkle the lamb with the parsley and fresh mint.
5. For the salad: make the dressing for the salad by pounding together the anchovy fillets and lavender in a pestle and mortar until they form a paste. Drizzle in enough olive oil to make a coating consistency. Season the dressing with salt, lemon juice and red wine vinegar, to taste.
6. To serve, combine the salad leaves and dressing. Divide the meat and roasted vegetables between 4 plates, pour over any meat juices from the roasting tin and serve with the salad.
Rate This Recipe