- Serves: 10-12
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 175 g butter, softened
- 100 g light soft brown sugar
- 75 g golden caster sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 225 g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 medium bananas, approx 180-200g peeled weight
- 1½ tbsp demerara sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180C/160 fan/gas 4. Line a 1lb loaf tin with baking parchment.
2. Cream together the softened butter, sugars and vanilla, until pale and fluffy.
3. Beat the eggs into the mixture, a little at a time, adding a spoonful of the flour each time to avoid curdling. Sift the remaining flour, baking powder and spices into the bowl and fold in gently.
4. Mash the bananas with a fork, making sure no large pieces remain. Fold the banana into the cake mixture.
5. Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared loaf tin and sprinkle the demerara sugar on top.
6. Bake for approximately 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
7. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before removing to cool on a wire rack.
For more ways with bananas, take a look at our top 10 banana cake recipes
Rate This Recipe