- Serves: makes 2 jars
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 250 g raspberries
- 250 g blackberries
- 500 g preserving sugar
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 2 whole star anise
- clotted cream
1. To sterilise the jam jars, preheat the oven to 170C/340F/gas 3. Wash and dry 3-4 recycled glass jars and lids. Place the jars upright on a baking tray and put in the oven for 5-10 minutes.
2. Put 2-3 saucers in the fridge. Tip the berries into a large saucepan and heat slowly until the juices start to run. Cook gently, crushing the fruit very lightly, but dont reduce to a pulp.
3. Add the sugar and lemon juice to the pan and stir over a moderate heat until dissolved. Add the star anise, bring to the boil, then bubble fairly rapidly, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes - or until the setting point has been reached. To check, place a teaspoonful on one of the chilled saucers and push it with your fingertip to see if it wrinkles. If not, bubble for a couple of minutes more.
4. Carefully pour the jam into the sterilised jars until it almost reaches the top, then place a waxed disc on top of the jam to seal it in. Cover and seal with lids or cellophane jam pot covers and elastic bands.
5. Chill the jars in the fridge until set and wait until at least the next day to eat.
6. Serve with clotted cream and scones.
Rate This Recipe