- Serves: 4-6
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus chilling
- Effort: easy
- 50 g caster sugar
- 0.5 vanilla pods
- 1 pinches dried red chilli flakes
- 800 g mixed berries, such raspberries, blueberries, strawberries
- 200 ml vin santo, or Orange Muscat dessert wine
- 200 g madeira cakes
- 500 g custard, fresh
- 300 ml thick cream
Tips and Suggestions
Substitute any dessert wine or sherry for the Vin Santo or Muscat dessert wine.
1. Place the sugar, vanilla pod and chilli flakes in a food processor and blend until the pod is finely chopped.
2. Place the mixed berries in a large bowl and scatter over the sugar mixture, then pour over the Vin Santo. Cover and chill for at least an hour, or overnight.
3. Slice the cake and arrange in the base of a trifle bowl. Spoon over three quarters of the berries, including most of the liquid, which will soak into the sponge.
4. Now spoon over the custard and top with the cream. Finish with the remaining berries and chill until ready to serve.
Rate This Recipe