- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the cake
- 110 g butter, softened and diced
- 110 g caster sugar
- 1/2 lemon, finely grated zest only
- 2 eggs
- 150 g plain flour, sifted
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp milk
For the icing
- 175 g icing sugar
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
Tips and Suggestions
If the icing is a bit stiff and wont spread easily, dip a palette knife in boiling water and use this to gently smooth the icing over the surface of the cake.
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Line the base of a 20cm diameter spring-form or loose-bottomed tin with a disc of baking parchment and grease the sides with butter.
2. Place all the ingredients for the cake in a food processor and whiz for 1 minute or just until the mixture comes together. Alternatively, cream the butter until soft using a hand-held electric beater, then beat in the sugar and lemon zest, whisk in the eggs one at a time and fold in the remaining ingredients. Tip the mixture into the prepared tin, smoothing over the top with a palette knife or the back of a spoon.
3. Place in the oven and bake for 2025 minutes or until golden on top and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Leave to stand for 5 minutes before removing from the tin and placing on a wire rack to cool.
4. For the icing: sift the icing sugar into a bowl and add just enough lemon juice to make a soft icing with the consistency of thick double cream. (Too thick and it wont self-spread, too thin and it will run off the cake and onto the plate beneath.)
5. Place the cake on a serving plate and tip the icing into the middle of the cake, allowing it to spread itself, then cut into slices to serve.
Recipe taken from Rachel Allen's Easy Meals.
Rate This Recipe