- Serves: makes 1 cake
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 450 g plain flour
- 35 g cocoa powder
- 6 g baking powder
- 6 g bicarbonate of soda
- 300 g caster sugar
- 125 ml sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
- 300 ml water
- 20 ml white vinegar
- chocolate icing, or topping of your choice, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 170C/gas 3. Grease a large cake tin about 25cm diameter, or 2 smaller tins, with a little sunflower oil.
2. Sieve the flour, cocoa, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and caster sugar into a large bowl.
3. Mix the liquids together and add them to the solids, whisking very well.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin (or tins) and bake for 20 minutes, until springy to the touch.
5. To serve, top the cake with chocolate icing or the topping of your choice.
Rate This Recipe