- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 10 mins standing
- Effort: medium
- 4 eggs
- 4 large flat field mushrooms, wiped clean, stalks removed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- black pepper
- 400 g spinach leaves
- 2 English muffins, split and toasted
For the hollandaise sauce
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 150 g lightly salted butter
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
2. First poach the eggs. Fill a large non-stick frying pan with water and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat to a low simmer. One at a time, carefully break each egg into a teacup and slide into the water.
3. Simmer the eggs for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the eggs stand in the water. After 10 minutes, they should be perfectly cooked, if you like the yolk slightly runny. If you prefer a well-done yolk, put the pan back on the heat for 1-2 minutes until cooked to your liking. Remove the eggs from the pan with a slotted spatula and dry briefly on kitchen paper.
4. Preheat the grill. Brush the mushrooms with olive oil and place gill-side up on an oven tray. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Cook the mushrooms under the grill for about 8 minutes, until juicy.
5. Place the spinach in a large bowl and pour boiling water over it. Stir until wilted, then drain thoroughly; a potato masher is a useful tool for pressing out excess moisture while the spinach is in the sieve or colander. Keep the spinach warm.
6.Make the hollandaise sauce just before serving. Place the egg yolks, water and lemon juice in a blender.
7. Melt the cubes of butter in a saucepan over a very gentle flame. As soon as it has melted, take it off the heat.
8. Start the blender and whizz the yolks and lemon juice together. Pour in the hot melted butter through the hole in the blender lid in a thin steady stream to make a thick and creamy emulsion. If the sauce needs to be kept for a short time before use, it can be poured into a bowl, then set over a saucepan of hot water (not simmering, just hot).
9. Place a toasted muffin half on a warm plate. Top with a roasted mushroom, a helping of spinach and a poached egg. Finish with warm hollandaise sauce and a good grinding of freshly ground black pepper. Serve at once.
Rate This Recipe