- Serves: 1-2
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 spring onions, trimmed and roughly sliced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, sliced
- ½ tsp cumin seeds, roughly ground
- 200 g tomatoes, peeled, quartered and deseeded
- pinches cayenne pepper or dried red chilli flakes
- ½ tsp caster sugar, (optional)
- 1 turkey egg, or 2 chicken eggs
- 1 tbsp roughly chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Moroccan bread or pitta bread, to serve
1. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the spring onion, garlic and cumin seeds for 1-2 minutes, or until they just start to colour.
2. Add the tomatoes, cayenne or chilli and season with salt and pepper. Add the sugar if the tomatoes need sweetening. Simmer the mixture for 15 minutes, or until the tomatoes are cooked and softened but still retain their shape.
3. Make a shallow well in the middle of the tomatoes, and crack the egg into it. Use a fork to slightly spread the egg white over the surface of the tomato. Simmer until the eggs are cooked - 3-4 minutes for the turkey egg or 2 minutes for hens eggs - or until done to your liking.
4. Sprinkle the coriander over the top and serve the eggs and tomatoes with warm bread.
Rate This Recipe