- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 pinches sea salt
- 1 pinches freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium ciabatta bread, quartered
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- 8 rashers smoked back bacon, rinds removed
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 squeeze tomato ketchup, to taste
- 2 vine tomatoes, finely sliced
- 25 g rocket
1. Crack the eggs into a bowl, add the milk, season generously with sea salt and freshly ground pepper and whisk until blended.
2. Pour into a large shallow dish. Lie the bread, cut side down in the egg mixture and leave to soak for a minute before turning over.
3. Meanwhile, heat a large frying pan and add the olive oil. Fry the bacon until really crisp. Drain well on kitchen paper and keep warm.
4. Fry the eggy bread. Start with the cut side down and cook for about 1-2 minutes, until each piece is golden brown. Turn over and cook for a further 2 minutes - you may need to turn the heat down a little to make sure the bread doesn't catch.
5. If your frying pan won't take all four pieces then start with the two bases so that you can start assembling the sandwich while the tops are cooking.
6. Mix together the Dijon mustard and the mayonnaise. Just before serving, spread the ketchup on the base and add a layer of tomato slices. Season with freshly ground pepper.
7. Follow with the bacon, then the rocket leaves. Finish by spreading the Dijon mayo onto the top half of the eggy bread. Cut on the angle and serve immediately with a blueberry fizzer cocktail (see link on the right).
Rate This Recipe