- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 eggs
- black pepper
- 4 slices thick white bread, cut in half diagonally
- 12 rashers of smoked streaky bacon
- 25 g butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large plum tomatoes
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp chilli oil
- 2 tbsp basil
1. Preheat the grill. Beat the eggs in a large bowl and season well. Pour into a large shallow dish, dip the slices of bread in the egg mixture and leave for a few minutes to soak.
2. Meanwhile grill the bacon for 1-2 minutes on each side until crisp. Keep warm in a low oven.
3. In a large frying pan, melt the butter with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add half of the soaked bread and fry for 2 minutes on each side or until crisp and golden.
4. Meanwhile heat the remaining olive oil in a separate frying pan. Add the tomato slices and sprinkle over the sugar. Fry for 1-2 minutes on each side or until the tomato slices have caramelised and softened, but still retaining their shape. Shake over the chilli oil and remove from the heat.
5. To serve, place two pieces of eggy bread, slightly overlapping on the centre of each plate and top each with
3 rashers of bacon.
6. Place a spoonful of the tomatoes to the side of the bread and tear over the basil. Serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe