- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 300 g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 300 g caster sugar
- 75 g plain flour
- 4 eggs
- 225 g fine ground polenta
- 1 tsp candied lemon zest, (see Cooks note, below)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp elderflower syrup
Tips and Suggestions
Candied lemon zest can be bought or made. To it, peel the zest from 2 lemons and simmer in a syrup of 250ml water and 220g sugar for about 15 minutes or until translucent. Drain well, spread the peel onto a baking-paper-lined baking tray and allow to dry for 4-6 hours. Sprinkle the zest with 50g caster sugar and toss until well coated.
1. Preheat the oven to 170C/gas 3. Butter the inside of a cake tin or a deep-sided metal flan dish.
2. Beat together the butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and light.
3. Stir in the flour, a little at a time. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Stir in the polenta, lemon zest, baking powder, a pinch of salt and the syrup.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin. Bake for 45 minutes, until cooked. Test by sticking a knife into the centre: if it comes out clean, the cake is cooked; if not, give it a little longer.
5. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
6. To serve, scatter the elderberries over the top.
Rate This Recipe