- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 30 mins proving time
- Effort: medium
- 450 g '00' flour
- 25 g fresh yeast
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- 330 ml lager
- 1 bottle sparkling water
- sunflower oil, for deep frying
- 6 to 8 fresh heads of elderflower
- caster sugar
- Good quality vanilla ice cream
1. Place the flour in a large mixing bowl, add the yeast, sugar and a pinch of salt and mix together. Make a well in the centre, pour in the lager and gradually whisk in the flour, working out from the centre. Add as much of the water as it takes to form a lose batter - the consistency of double cream.
2. Cover and leave in a warm place for 30 minutes to allow the yeast to activate. After 30 minutes the batter will have a layer of foam on top.
3. Preheat the oil in a deep fat fryer to 180°C.
4. Dip the flowers into the foam layer of the batter and place into the hot oil. Fry until lightly golden and crisp.
5. Drain on kitchen paper then dredge with caster sugar. Serve hot with vanilla ice-cream.
Rate This Recipe