- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes plus overnight resting and straining
- Effort: medium
- 1 punnet of strawberries
For the elderflower fritters:
- 50 g plain flour
- 50 g cornflour
- pinch of salt
- 50 g butter, melted
- 150 ml water
- groundnut oil, for deep-frying
- 1 egg white
- 12 heads of elderflower, with the main stalk part cut off
- caster sugar, for sprinkling
- icing sugar, for sprinkling
For the elderflower cordial:
- 2 litres boiling water
- 900 g caster sugar
- 2 lemons, sliced
- 2 oranges, sliced
- 75 g citric or tartaric acid (available from the chemist)
- 30 elderflowers
1. First make the elderflower cordial a day in advance. To do so, pour the boiling water into a very large mixing bowl, add the sugar and set it aside to cool.
2. Slice the lemons and oranges and add together with the citric or tartaric acid.
3. Next remove the elderflowers from the stalks and add to the mixture. Leave covered in a cool dark place overnight, stirring occasionally.
4. The next day, strain through some muslin in a colander. Pour into clean, dry bottles. Keep the cordial cool until ready to serve.
5. Make the batter for the elderflower fritters a couple of hours before you wish to serve them. In a mixing bowl, sift together the plain flour, cornflour and a pinch of salt.
6. Stir in the melted butter. Gradually whisk in the water forming a smooth, creamy batter then set aside for 2 hours.
7. Just before cooking the fritters prepare the strawberries. Hull and slice the strawberries, place in a bowl and drizzle with the home-made elderflower cordial (reserving the remaining cordial for use in drinks or other recipes).
8. Heat the groundnut oil for deep-frying in a wok or deep fat fryer.
9. Meanwhile, whisk the egg-white until stiff peaks form and fold into the batter.
10. Dip the elderflower heads into the batter then fry in batches in the hot oil, frying for about 1 minute until golden and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon.
11. Place the freshly-fried fritters on a serving plate. Sprinkle with caster sugar and a little icing sugar. Serve with the strawberries.
Rate This Recipe