- Serves: 10
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: easy
For the cupcakes
- 115 g butter, softened
- 115 g caster sugar
- 115 g self-raising flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 10 cardamom pods
- 1 tbsp milk
For the buttercream
- 100 g butter, softened
- 275 g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp elderflower cordial
- 10 tsp plum jam
- 2 plums, thinly sliced
1. For the cupcakes: preheat oven to 180C/160 fan/gas 4. Line a muffin tray with 10 paper muffin cases.
2. Remove the seeds from the cardamom pods and grind into a powder with a pestle and mortar. Set aside.
3. Cream together the softened butter and sugar, until pale and fluffy.
4. Sift the flour and cardamom into the bowl, and add the eggs. Beat until just combined. Add the milk and briefly beat again.
5. Divide the mixture between the ten paper cases, and bake for approximately 22-25 minutes. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
6. For the buttercream: rub the softened butter into the icing sugar using the back of a wooden spoon. Add the elderflower cordial and milk. Whisk with an electric mixer for a few minutes, until light and fluffy.
7. To decorate: once the cupcakes have cooled, use a small paring knife to cut a little well in the top of each cupcake. Fill each of these with 1 teaspoon plum jam and place the cut out piece of cupcake on top.
8. Pipe a swirl of buttercream on top of each cupcake and finish off with a thin slice of plum.
Love cupcakes? Take a look at our cupcake recipe collection
Rate This Recipe