- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 1 hour chilling time
- Effort: easy
For the syllabub:
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 4 tbsp sweet sherry
- 2 tbsp elderflower cordial, we recommend Belvoir Fruit Farm's cordial
- 1 heaped tbsp caster sugar
- 300 ml double cream
For the shortbread:
- 225 g plain flour
- 75 g cornflour
- 200 g butter
- 100 g caster sugar, plus extra for dusting
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
1. For the syllabub: Mix the lemon zest and juice, sherry, cordial and sugar together in a bowl. Mix well and pour in the cream. Using a hand-held whisk, whisk into soft peaks. Spoon into a serving dish or individual glasses and chill for an hour.
2. For the shortbread: While the syllabub is chilling, make the shortbread. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and cover a large baking sheet with baking parchment, cut to size.
3. Sift the flours together and put into a food processor with the butter, sugar, vanilla and a pinch of salt. Blitz until it is well mixed and it looks like breadcrumbs or begins to clump.
4. Turn out onto the work surface and work into a ball. Divide into 4 and dust the work surface with a little flour. Roll out each piece of dough to a thickness of a 1 pound coin or a little thinner. Cut with a heart-shaped cookie cutter if you have one or an upturned glass and place on the baking sheet.
5. Place on the middle rung of the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Leave on the baking sheet to cool and dust with caster sugar.
Recipe from Belvoir Fruit Farms.
See lots more elderflower recipes.
Rate This Recipe