- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 1.1666666666666667 hours 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 2 hrs chilling
- Effort: medium
For the pastry
- 300 g plain flour
- 1 pinches salt
- 200 g unsalted butter, cubed
- 100 g icing sugar, sifted
- 3 egg yolks
For the filling
- 3 lemons, zest and juice
- 6 large eggs
- 250 g caster sugar
- 225 ml double cream
1. For the pastry: Pulse the flour, salt and butter in a food processor until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add sugar then egg yolks and pulse again until it comes together to form a dough. Tip the dough out onto a floured work surface, press together to form a disc, wrap in cling film and chill for 2 hours.
2. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4 and place a 23cm flan tin on a baking sheet. On a floured work surface, roll the pastry out until its larger than the size of the tin. Line the flan ring with the pastry, making sure it s pushed right into the corners, then trim off any overhanging pastry. Chill for 10 minutes before lining with greaseproof paper and baking beans, then bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown around the edges. Remove the beans and paper and bake for a further 5 minutes to ensure the base is completely cooked.
3. For the filling: While the pastry is blind baking, beat the eggs and sugar together until smooth, then gently stir in the cream, lemon juice and zest until combined (dont whisk otherwise youll end up with air bubbles in the custard).
4. Turn the oven to 170C/gas 3. Pour the filling into the tart case and bake for 40 minutes, or until the custard has just set. Leave to cool completely before removing the tart ring, then cut into slices and serve.
Healthy tip: As part of a healthy balanced diet eat this tart as an occasional treat or in small amounts. For more information on healthier eating see eatwell.gov.uk
Rate This Recipe