- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 1 hr to marinate
- Effort: medium
For the escoveitch pickle sauce
- 625 ml cane vinegar, or distilled white malt vinegar
- 1 christophene, cut into fine matchsticks
- 2 carrots, cut into fine matchsticks
- 1 onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1-3 red hot chillies, seeds removed and sliced into rings
- 2 tbsp allspice berries
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 pinch sea salt
For the chicken salad
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- 2 pineapple rings
- 100 g mixed salad leaves
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1. Put the vinegar in a non-reactive saucepan and add all the other ingredients for the sauce.
2. Heat gently for about 5 minutes until the vegetables are slightly softened.
3. Let it cool completely, then store in a large jar with a secure lid and use when needed.
4. For the chicken salad, wash the chicken breasts and season with salt, pepper, garlic and thyme. Let them marinate in the fridge for at least an hour if you can.
5. Brush the breasts lightly with oil and cook them on a hot griddle pan or under a grill for 10 minutes, turning them so they brown on both sides, until cooked through. Set aside to cool slightly.
6. Grill the pineapple slices until browned, before cutting them into 1 cm cubes to mix with the salad.
7. Carve the cooked chicken breasts into even slices, then mix in a bowl with 125ml of the escoveitch sauce and marinate for 10 minutes.
8. Toss the salad leaves, cucumber slices and pineapple pieces together in a bowl with a tablespoon of the escoveitch sauce.
9. Arrange the salad on 4 plates, lay the chicken slices on top, sprinkle with a little more escoveitch sauce and garnish with some of the pickled vegetable strips. Sprinkle over a little olive oil and serve at room temperature, or chilled.
Rate This Recipe