- Serves: 10-15
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus overnight soaking
- Effort: easy
- 750 g small black beans
- 250 g Brazilian air-dried beef, (see Cook's tip)
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 500 g pork ribs
- 500 g smoked chorizo, (or any other spicy smoked sausage)
- 500 g beef sirloin, (alternatively, use smoked pork loin)
- 250 g slab smoked bacon
- 250 g beef tongues, (optional)
- 3 large bay leaves
- 3 onions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed into a paste
- 2 lemons, grated zest only
- 100 g fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 1 red chilli
- olive oil, to taste
1. Soak the beans in cold water overnight and in a another bowl, soak the beef jerky overnight as well ' in both cases, change the water twice or even three times.
2. The next morning, put the beans in a large pot of water with the smoked ham hock and the dried beef, simmering for 2 hours until the beans are cooked but firm ' remove the hock and discard.
3. Add the rest of the meat and the bay leaves to the beans and simmer for 30 minutes, pouring in a little more hot water, if necessary, to maintain 2 cm of water over the beans.
4. Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onions and garlic until they are tender and light gold in colour before adding the parsley, cumin, lemon zest, salt and pepper.
5. Add about 200 g of the bean mixture to the pan and mash the beans with the onions before adding this mixture back to the beans and the meat ' simmer for another 30 minutes.
6. Remove the meat from the beans, cut it into smaller pieces or thin slices and arrange on a platter, grouped by type of meat.
7. Serve the beans in a separate bowl and serve the dish as suggested above.
Recipe and image supplied by Just Food Now
Rate This Recipe