- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the fennel
- ½ bulbs fennel, thinly sliced, fronds reserved
- ½ lemons, juice only
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
For the beetroot sauce
- 150 g cooked beetroot, roughly chopped
- 100 ml chicken consommé
- 3 tbsp crème fraîche
- 2 tbsp chilled vodka
For the salmon
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 x 100g salmon fillets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
1. For the fennel: mix all of the ingredients together, season with salt and black pepper and set aside to allow the flavours to mingle.
2. For the beetroot sauce: tip all of the ingredients into a liquidiser and blend to a smooth consistency. Transfer to the fridge and chill until ready to serve.
3. For the salmon: using a pestle and mortar crush the fennel seeds with a pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Tip the mixture onto a plate.
4. Brush the skin of the salmon with a little of the olive oil then press the skin into the crushed fennel seeds to coat.
5. Heat the remaining oil in a heavy-based frying pan over a medium-high heat, add the salmon, skin-side down, and fry for 2-3 minutes, or until the skin is crisp, before turning. Remove the pan from the heat and let the salmon finish cooking in the residual heat.
6. To serve, divide the beetroot sauce between two serving plates, top with the fennel followed by the salmon, skin-side-up. Garnish with fennel fronds.
Rate This Recipe