- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1.5 kg chicken, portioned
- 1 onion, chopped
- 200 g ground walnuts
- 80 ml hot water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tbsp sugar
- salt, nd freshly ground pepper
- 500 ml pomegranate juice, or 125ml of pomegranate syrup
Tips and Suggestions
Pomegranate juice or syrup can be found in Middle Eastern supermarkets and some supermarkets
1. Heat the vegetable oil in a heavy-based saucepan.
2. Add the chicken and fry over a high heat, stirring often, until browned on all sides.
3. Add the onion and walnuts and cook for another 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Gradually mix in the hot water, then mix in the lemon juice, tomato puree and sugar.
5. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
6. Mix in the pomegranate juice or syrup.
7. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer the dish for 45 minutes, stirring now and then, until the chicken is tender.
8. Place the chicken portions on a serving plate, spoon over the sauce and serve.
Rate This Recipe