- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 500 g fresh lasagne sheets
- 200 g parmesan, grated
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 200 g ricotta cheese
- 4 mozzarella, coarsely chopped
For the tomato sauce
- 120 ml olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4x400 g plum tomatoes
- 2-3 handfuls leaves basil
For the meatballs
- 250 g minced beef
- 250 g minced pork
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- flour, for dusting
- olive oil, for frying
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/ gas 6.
2. For the sauce: heat the olive oil in a large pan, add the onions and cook gently over a low heat until softened.
3. Add the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and add the basil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for about 25 minutes. Set aside.
4. For the meatballs: place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well together. Shape into small balls about size of walnuts.
5. Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Dust the meatballs with some flour and fry in the hot oil until golden on all sides. Do this in batches, a few at a time depending on the size of the frying pan. Drain on kitchen paper and set aside.
6. Line a large oven-proof dish with some of the tomato sauce. Place a layer of pasta sheets on top, then spoon more tomato sauce over.
7. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese; arrange a few egg slices, on top with a few meatballs, a few knobs of ricotta and some mozzarella pieces.
8. Top with pasta sheets and repeat the layers with the remaining ingredients, finishing with tomato sauce, meatballs, eggs and cheeses.
9. Cover with foil and bake for about 30 minutes. Remove the foil and cook for a further 5 minutes, until the cheese has melted nicely on the top. Serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe