- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 turkey style fillets
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 50 g onions, finely chopped
- 4 cardamom pods, slightly split
- 5 large oranges, juice of all and grated zest of one
- 50 g day-old wholegrain bread, crusts removed, roughly torn
- g unsalted cashew nuts, roughly chopped
- 12 sprigs dill, (4 reserved for garnish)
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp pomegranate molasses, or 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 800 g mixed root vegetables, (carrot, parsnip, turnip etc)
- 75-100 ml light vegetable stock, or soya cream (or a mixture)
1. Preheat oven to 180C/gas 5.
2. Line a roasting tin with foil and bake the fillets for 16 minutes.
3. Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a large frying pan and gently fry the onion until soft. Add the cardamom pods, orange zest and orange juice, reserving 4-5 tbsp of juice.
4. Add the fillets and turn briefly to coat each side with the sauce. They will absorb quite a lot of the liquid so pour in more orange juice if necessary. Set aside.
5. Rub the bread to create breadcrumbs. Chop nuts and dill until fine and mix with breadcrumbs. (Alternatively, mix in a processor until crumbs form).
6. Heat the remaining oil in a medium sized frying pan and add the breadcrumb mixture, stirring gently until starting to become crispy.
7. Peel and slice the root vegetables and steam until soft. Mash well and add sufficient stock or cream to make a soft purée.
8. To serve, place 3 good tbsp of the purée in the centre of each plate; cut each fillet diagonally into two slices and place on top. Sprinkle the toasted crumbs over the slices, pressing into the fillet where possible.
9. To finish the sauce, remove the cardamom pods and stir in the sugar and pomegranate molasses. Heat briefly before pouring around the fillets. Garnish with dill.
© Sarah Kearns 2008, recipe created for The Vegetarian Society. Visit www.vegsoc.org
for more recipes.
Rate This Recipe