- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the feta tarts
- 75 g butter, melted
- 6 sheets filo pastry
- 6 eggs
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 100 g feta cheese, drained and crumbled
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the beetroot relish
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp white malt vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 4 cooked beetroot, diced
For the lemony courgettes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 courgettes, coarsely grated
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Brush a 6-cup muffin tray with a little of the melted butter.
2. Take the top sheet from the packet of filo pastry, brush it with melted butter and set to one side. Remove the second sheet of pastry, brush it with melted butter and lay it on top of the first. Repeat until you have 6 layers.
3. Cut the stack of buttery pastry into 6 squares, 12cm wide. Use the squares to line the cups of the muffin tray, arranging them so that the edges sit up like tart cases.
4. Break an egg into each pastry case. Season well and scatter the spring onions and feta on top. Bake the tarts for 18 minutes, or until the pastry is golden and the egg is set.
5. Meanwhile, prepare the accompaniments. For the beetroot relish, combine the water, vinegar, sugar, and some salt and pepper in a saucepan, and bring to the boil, stirring. Add the diced beetroot and cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring, until well-coated and syrupy.
6. To prepare the lemony courgettes, heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan. Add the courgettes, tomatoes, and some salt and pepper and toss for 2-3 minutes until the courgettes start to soften. Add the lemon juice, toss briefly, then take off the heat.
7. Remove the feta tarts from the oven and serve with the lemony courgettes and a side dish of beetroot relish.
Rate This Recipe