- Serves: Makes about 3.5 litres
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 bottles dry red wine
- 2 unwaxed lemons, strips of zest only
- 2 unwaxed oranges, strips of zest only
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 10 cloves
- 1 sugar cone
- 750 ml dark rum, (at least 54% proof)
1. Heat the wine in a large pan with the lemon zest, orange zest and cinnamon sticks. Leave over a very low heat for about 40 minutes to let the flavours infuse - the wine should never boil. Add the cloves at the end.
2. Pour the hot wine into a punch bowl (or traditionally a bowl similar to a fondue set over a small fuel burner).
3. Soak the sugar cone with rum then place on a metal rack suspended over the bowl. Set the cone alight and keep pouring the rum over with a ladle until all the sugar has melted into the wine.
4. Serve ladled into mugs, in the same way as glühwein. The burner will keep the bowl warm until it is emptied.
Rate This Recipe