- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 large spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 6 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ï¿½ tsp fennel seeds
- 800 ml fish stock
- 1 tsp saffron
- 250 g fideos, (thin short egg noodles)
- 5 tbsp white wine
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
- ï¿½ tsp Spanish smoked paprika
- 500 g clams
- 1 lemon, sliced into wedges
- sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the olive oil in a paella pan or large frying pan over a medium heat. When hot, add the onions and red pepper. Gently fry for 15-20 minutes, stirring often, until very soft.
2. Turn the heat down to medium-low and add the garlic and fennel seeds. Cook for a further 10 minutes or until the garlic and onions have some colour and are sweet.
3. Meanwhile, bring the fish stock to the boil in a saucepan and add the saffron. Remove from the heat and leave to infuse for 10 minutes.
4. Once the onions and garlic are cooked, add the pasta to the pan and stir thoroughly.
5. Turn the heat up and add the white wine, followed by the fish stock and saffron. Stir in the parsley and paprika and season with the salt and pepper. Do not stir after this point or the pasta will be disturbed from cooking in the stock. Simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Add the clams, spreading them evenly over the pasta and pushing each one under the stock. Gently shake the pan to avoid sticking. Turn the heat down to medium-low and cook for 5 more minutes or until there is just a little liquid left at the bottom.
7. Turn off the heat and cover the pan tightly with foil and leave to sit for 5 minutes. Garnish with lemon wedges before serving.
Rate This Recipe