- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 350 g unsmokedback bacon, cut into 1cm pieces
- 450 g Cox's Orange Pippin apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 225 g onions, chopped
- pinches nutmeg
- 300 ml sweet cider
- 300 g ready-made shortcrust pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5.
2. Put the bacon, apple and onion in layers in a pie dish, seasoning with salt, pepper and nutmeg as you go. Pour in the cider.
3. Roll out the pastry on a floured work surface to about 5mm thick. Cover the pie dish with the pastry and crimp the edges.
4. Make a cross in the pastry with a sharp knife and fold back the four points to make a hole for the steam to escape.
5. Mix the beaten egg with a little water and brush the mixture over the top of the pastry to glaze.
6. Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown.
Rate This Recipe