- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the pastry
- 300 g shortcrust pastry
- milk, or beaten egg, to glaze
For the filling
- 40 g butter
- 3 potatoes, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced (weighing about 350g prepared weight)
- 2 tsp finely chopped sage
- 2 tsp lightlight muscovado sugar
- 2 slices sweetcure gammon, rind removed and cut into 1cm strips
- 150 ml vegetable stock
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4
2. To make the filling: heat the butter in a large frying pan and gently cook the potatoes, onions and apples until just golden. Stir in the sage.
3. Transfer the potatoes, onions and apples to a 1 litre pie dish; sprinkle on the sugar and season with salt and pepper.
4. Place the gammon in the frying pan and cook lightly in the remaining fat until golden, then add to the pie dish. Pour over the stock.
5. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a thickness of about 3mm.
6. Cover the pie, trimming the edges. Make a steam hole and decorate with the trimmings.
7. Brush with milk or egg.
8. Bake for 30 minutes, and then reduce the oven temperature to 160C/gas 3 and cook for a further 10-15 minutes until the pie is golden brown.
Rate This Recipe