- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus marinating
- Effort: easy
- 1 kg rump steaks, sliced into very fine strips
For the marinade:
- 45 ml soy sauce
- 10 ml sesame oil
- 5 g Chinese red bean paste
- 30 ml water
- 30 ml sherry
- 5 g sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 5 g dried red chilli flakes
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 10 g sugar
For the salad:
- 2 mooli (white radish), peeled and sliced into matchsticks
- 2 cooking apples, peeled and sliced into matchsticks
- juice of 1 lemons
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
For the dressing:
- 45 ml light soy sauce
- 15 ml sesame oil
- 45 ml rice vinegar, or Mirin
- 15 g sugar
- 5 g salt
- 15 g sesame seeds
- 1 finely chopped bird's eye chilli
- steamed white rice
- sprigs coriander, to garnish
1. First prepare the marinade. In a pestle and mortar, crush the garlic with the sugar and a pinch of salt into a paste.
2. Mix together the garlic paste, soy sauce, sesame oil, red bean paste, water, sherry, sesame seeds, spring onions and chilli flakes in a bowl.
3. Toss the sliced beef with the marinade. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
4. To prepare the salad, place the mooli and apple in bowl with cold water and lemon juice. Set aside to soak for 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, make the salad dressing. Whisk together the light soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, sugar, salt, sesame seeds and chilli.
6. Drain the mooli mixture and toss with the spring onion and the salad dressing.
7. Heat a griddle pan until very hot. Remove the beef strips from the marinade, reserving the marinade.
8. Griddle the marinated beef strips very quickly on each side.
9. Garnish the freshly griddled beef with coriander sprigs and serve at once with the salad, reserved marinade and rice.
Rate This Recipe