- Serves: 3
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes plus overnight marinating
- Effort: medium
- 350 g sirloin steaks, thinly sliced lengthways
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced lengthways
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp paprika
- tsp cayenne pepper
- 6 wheat tortillas, warmed, to serve
For the marinade:
- 1 tbsp dry sherry
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp paprika
- cayenne pepper
For the pea guacamole:
- 500 g peas, shelled
- ½ small white onions, diced
- ½ small red onions, diced
- 3 cherry tomatoes, deseeded and diced
- ½ fresh red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- juice of 1 limes
For the tomato salsa (salcita de jitomate):
- 4 tomatoes, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- handful of coriander, chopped
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- juice of 1 limes
- freshly ground salt and black pepper
Tips and Suggestions
Make the pea guacamole and tomato salsa no more than an hour or two before you plan to serve them. Otherwise they will lose their bright colour and flavour.
1. Place the meat in a bowl. Combine the marinade ingredients and pour over the meat. Mix well, cover and leave in fridge overnight.
2. To make the pea guacamole, bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil, add the peas and cook for 4-5 minutes until just tender. Drain, allow to cool, then chill.
3. Mash the peas to a chunky purée using a fork. Stir in the onions, tomatoes and chilli, mixing well. Add the olive oil and lime juice. Cover and chill until needed.
4. Combine all the ingredients for the tomato salsa. Cover and chill.
5. Take the steak from the fridge and drain well.
6. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a wok or large frying pan over high heat. Add the steak and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes. Remove with a perforated spoon and set aside.
7. If necessary, add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the pan. Add the onion, green pepper, garlic and spices. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until just tender.
8. Tip the meat back into the pan and stir to warm through.
9. Place a warm tortilla on a plate. Spoon some of the steak mixture into the middle. Wrap the tortilla round the steak, tucking in the bottom. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
10. Serve with the guacamole and salsa.
Rate This Recipe