- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the beetroot
- 4 beetroot, peeled and cut in quarters
- 6 tbsp chilli tomato relishes
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
For the pesto
- 60 g basil
- 40 g parmesan, freshly grated
- 40 g pine kernels
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 75 ml extra virgin olive oil, plus a little extra to cover the pesto once made
For the beef
- 4 x 160 g slices beef fillet
- 2 tbsp groundnut oil
- 20 sun-blushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped preserved lemons
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6
2. Spread a large piece of tin foil on a small baking tray and place the beetroot quarters over half of the foil.
3. Spoon over 2 tablespoons tomato chilli relish, olive oil and the vinegar. Season the beetroot with salt and pepper and fold the foil over the top, closing the edges tightly. Bake for 50 minutes until tender.
4. To make the pesto: blanch the basil leaves for 30 seconds in a large pan of boiling salted water.
5. Strain the leaves through a sieve and put them in a large bowl of cold water. As soon as they are cold, drain the leaves and squeeze out any excess water.
6. Blend the basil with the Parmesan, pine nuts, garlic and olive oil to a coarse purée in a food processor.
7. Once the beetroot are cooked, heat the groundnut oil in a large frying pan and fry the beef over a high heat for 2 minutes on each side.
8. Transfer to a rack over a plate and spread each slice of beef with a tablespoon of pesto.
9. Deglaze the pan with 200ml water and scrape off all the caramelised goodies on the bottom of the pan.
10. Boil for 1 minute then stir in 4 tablespoons of tomato chilli relish. Stir for about 30 seconds then spoon into the centre of four plates.
11. To serve: place the beef slices, beetroot, sun-blushed tomatoes, pickled lemons and a swirl of pesto on top of the relish mixture.
Rate This Recipe